Friday, April 10, 2009

The Glass is Feeling 2/3 Empty

10 weeks of my 15 at Ashasthan have come to a close and I am definitely feeling the sadness begin to sink in. While someone reminded me today that 5 weeks is still a very long time I cannot help but begin to miss everything already. India has been a hard place for me to not fall completely in love with. I wondered if after longing to come for so many years if I would find myself disappointed. I have found quite the opposite. I have found every expectation more then met. The saddest and most broken parts of India are the ones that complete it for me. I would never wish tragedies on anyone or any country but I have found that it creates a very genuine view of life. The joys are all the more meaningful because of how in touch everyone is with the reality that not every joy is lasting and not any joy should be taken for granted.
Parting with India will be extremely hard but nowhere near as heart wrenching as it is going to be to say goodbye to the girls. They are in every way my little sisters. I have been so grateful for my time with each one of them and feel that God has really poured into my short time here in giving me the opportunity to know more about each one then just their name and face. I was telling them that I have always been the baby in my family and that being their big sister has meant the world to me.
So while I only have 1/3 of the goodness left to drink in and while time will fly in a way that I will feel I have chugged it down, I will savor the taste of it all as it is one to be cherished for a long, long time to come.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter in India, dear Aly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alys! I miss you! I hung out with Meg at Peregrine the other day for a bit and we thought about you :) I totally know the "the end is coming feeling" just soak it all in the best you can is my advice. Which I'm sure you're doing. Love you and praying for you!
    Katie D

    ReplyDelete