Friday, April 10, 2009

Exam Time

This past week I had to give an oral English exam to all of the Brazilian women that I have been teaching English to four times a week. It was a very interesting experience but also a very encouraging one. Just three weeks of meeting with them and even I can see where they have improved. It is such a joy to get to know them and to be able to give to them in such a simple way. These women are incredible and have dived head first into the work here at Ashasthan. The funniest moment of the exams for me had to be when I was getting them to name objects so I could check how they have retained vocabulary. I pointed to a key and one of the girls responded with “chabi” which is the Hindi word for key. It pretty much sums up how they have spent the last three weeks. Completely immersed in all things new and trying to pick up as much of two languages as they can. I told her I wouldn’t mark any points against her for that one. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment